DSGW is hiring a full-time Architect for our Duluth, MN office!
A talented architect can make a living just about anywhere. At DSGW, located in historic downtown Duluth, you can take your skills and also make a life. On the shores of Lake Superior, our city of 86,000 is big enough to support a thriving arts and music scene, but small enough to be about ten minutes from your next stop. Where are you going? That depends on what’s riding your roof rack or in your trunk: mountain bikes, skis, paddleboard, snowshoes, crampons, trail running shoes, guitar or drum kit, book of poetry — those all work here.
About the Position
We are recruiting an experienced Architect to join our team. Take your experience in architectural design and project management to coordinate project components between the client(s), other design professionals, and contractors.
You will research, plan, design, and administer projects for clients, applying knowledge of design, construction procedures, zoning and building codes, and building materials. Our staff work on every aspect of the project, from winning the project to writing contracts to design and construction administration and more — which is a rewarding experience. The ideal candidate must be able to work independently and communicate effectively with design and engineering teams.
Come do satisfying work in a supportive environment, but leave the hamster wheel of corporate life behind. Living isn’t just for weekends here.
Core Duties and Responsibilities:
- Coordinate all project efforts to ensure effective execution, prepare strategic plans, and serve as primary client liaison.
- Lead Project design effort that aligns with the standards and expectations of DSGW. Knowledge of design techniques, tools and principles involved in creating the character and intent of the Project design, space programing, precision technical plans, drawings and models to ensure adherence to defined standards. In-depth understanding of code evaluation and material selection.
- Consult with clients regarding project scope, design, schematics, practicality and delivery, including site visits. Answer questions or seek out answers and effectively manage client questions, issues or concerns. Prepare design proposals and presentations.
- Oversight and Supervision. Provide ongoing oversight of all aspects of assigned projects, monitoring budgets, operating within budget guidelines and optimizing resources and schedules. Run project meetings; coordinate with project team; make timely decisions, revisions and adjustments to bring project to completion within budget and timelines.
- Provide guidance and mentoring to less experienced architects.
- Participates in the development of new work and client contacts.
- Perform additional duties as assigned.
- Eligible to work in the U.S.
- A degree in Architecture from an accredited college or university
- Architectural registration in Minnesota and registered NCARB license
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- The ability to work independently as well as part of a small team
- Advanced interpersonal skills, including the ability to develop and maintain effective professional relationships.
- Ability to maintain courteous, respectful, and professional interactions with clients and coworkers.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and projects
- Knowledge of construction standards, techniques, and criteria
- Highly organized and able to meet schedules and deadlines.
- Valid driver’s license and a “clean” driving record for insurability
- Experience with: Revit, Bluebeam, Sketchup, Microsoft Programs (Outlook, Powerpoint, Xcel), Prezi, Basecamp, Lumion, Virtual Meeting Software, AutoCAD, Skype, Deltek, Adobe programs (InDesign, Photoshop)
- Willing to apply for additional state licenses when required for work
- Ten plus years of previous architectural experience
- Project Management experience
- Experience in Indigenous, commercial, healthcare, educational, and federal facilities & projects
DSGW offers competitive compensation and a generous benefits package:
- Health and dental insurance plans
- HRA, Flexible Benefit Cafeteria plans
- Life Insurance, Long-Term Disability Insurance, Short-Term Disability Insurance
- 401 (k) Plan
- 529 Plan (College America deferment savings for future college/higher education costs)
- Paid Time Off and Paid Holidays
- Flexible work schedule
- Travel to project locations
- No rush hour traffic
How to Apply
Please upload a resume and cover letter and complete the online application.