Registered Architect or an Experienced Intern Design Professional
Duluth, MN – Full-Time Position
A good architect or design professional can make a living just about anywhere. At DSGW, located in historic downtown Duluth, you can take your skills and also make a life. On the shores of Lake Superior, our city of 86,000 is big enough to support a thriving arts and music scene, but small enough to be about ten minutes from your next stop. Where are you going? That depends on what’s riding your roof rack or in your trunk: mountain bikes, skis, paddleboard, snowshoes, crampons, trail running shoes, guitar or drum kit, book of poetry — those all work here.
Who we’re looking for:
We are recruiting a Registered Architect or an experienced Intern Design Professional to join our supportive workplace. Take your experience in architectural design and project management to coordinate project components between the client(s), other design professionals, and contractors. You will research, plan, design, and administer projects for clients, applying knowledge of design, construction procedures, zoning and building codes, and building materials. Our staff work on every aspect of the project, from winning the project to writing contracts to design and construction administration and more — which is a rewarding experience. The ideal candidate must be able to work independently and communicate effectively with design and engineering teams.
Come do satisfying work in a supportive environment, but leave the hamster wheel of corporate life behind. Living isn’t just for weekends here.
- Prepare space program and schematic design options, project layouts, and develop a design in 2D and 3D for client review/approval.
- Perform design computations, specifications, compile data, and architectural assignments.
- Assist with the preparation of construction drawings and construction detailing for contractors.
- Research building codes to assure that design complies with the minimum legal standards.
- Assist in the construction administration process reviewing shop drawings and creating a master log of the project submittals.
- Prepare/assist finish material sample boards, physical models, and graphic presentations for client approval.
- Perform additional duties related to our projects as required
- A degree in Architecture from an accredited college or university
- Architectural registration in Minnesota preferred or actively working toward licensure
- Registered NCARB license preferred if a registered architect
- Willing to apply for additional state licenses when required for work, if a registered architect
- Minimum of 5 years of previous architectural experience
- Project Management experience preferred
- Prefer candidate with experience in Indigenous, commercial, healthcare, educational, and federal facilities & projects
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- The ability to work independently as well as part of a small team
- Advanced interpersonal skills, including the ability to develop and maintain effective professional relationships.
- Ability to maintain courteous, respective and professional interactions with clients and coworkers.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and projects
- Knowledge of construction standards, techniques, and criteria
- Highly organized and able to meet schedules and deadlines.
- Valid driver’s license and a “clean” driving record for insurability
- We use the following programs and are looking for candidates who have experience in Revit, Bluebeam, Sketchup, Microsoft Programs (Outlook, Powerpoint, Xcel), Prezi, Basecamp, Lumion, GoTo Meeting, Zoom Meeting, AutoCAD, Skype, Deltek, Adobe programs (InDesign, Photoshop)
- Health and dental insurance plans
- HRA, Flexible Benefit Cafeteria plans
- Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberments Insurance, Long-Term Disability Insurance, Short-Term Disability Insurance
- 401 (k) Plan
- 529 Plan (College America deferment savings for future college/higher education costs)
- Paid Time Off, Paid Holidays
- Flexible work schedule
- Travel to project locations
- No rush hour traffic getting to and from Duluth!
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This is mostly a sedentary role, working at a computer for long periods of time.
Expected Hours of Work:
Regular workdays and hours are Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Evening and weekend work is required as job duties demand. Flexibility in schedule considered if job duties are met.
This position requires occasional travel to tradeshows, meetings, job sites, and to other states, as necessary.
The pay rate will be commensurate with education, training, and experience.
If you would like to join a dynamic, energized, innovative and collaborative environment, where your ideas will be heard, and your abilities challenged, send your cover letter, resume and portfolio as one file (Adobe PDF preferred) to email@example.com with “Registered Architect / Experienced Intern Design Professional” in the subject line. No phone calls, please. DSGW Architects is an Equal Opportunity Employer.